Sunday 21 March 2010

How to make a fabric book cover.

The PTA at the kid's school have bought 6 sewing machines for the kids to learn how to sew.
One of the teachers is doing an after school club. I am there to pick the kids up that day as the boys have clubs, so I have offered to help if she needed it.
She asked me for any ideas for the kids to make things that they would enjoy, so I have been thinking about different things, and checking with Alexander and Cameron to see of they would enjoy making and using the projects.
I remember having a book cover like this when I was younger. I can't remember where it came from, but I remember the fabric was batik greens and blacks, and I loved it. So, I have tried to replicate it from memory.
As I attempted to make one of my own, I took photos of each stage. Alexander is a wizz at Power Point Presentations, so he did the slides for me. The classroom has an interactive white board, so we can put the slides up on there for everyone to see.
I sent my friend Steph, (a new addicted sewing fan), the file, and she made 3 in 1 1/2 hours, and was really pleased with the results.
The measurements for a book I covered was 13cm wide, 20cm high and 2 1/2cm thick. When I went through the kids bookshelves this was the standard size of most of their books. If you want to cover a different size book, measuure the width (double it for front and back), height and spine, and add seam allowances. For the inner flaps, measure width of cover and subtract 3cm from width.

(above photo...issues with my sewing machine tension, reason for double stitching...no need for 2 stitching lines)

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

LOOOOve it and I'm sure the kids will too!!!