Saturday 28 April 2007

Joan Elliot's Angels completed.




Some background information on this project. The patterns were in the World of Cross Stitch magazine 2006 (British publication). Every quarter the magazine had 3 angel designs. The original design was for an afghan rug, but with so many quilts in our house, I would not use an afghan (also I don't like the look of all the threads at the back, and I don't like the look of a backing on an afghan...overall I just don't like afghan rugs I guess :) I had some fabric that would work just the same. working over 2 threads, using 3 strands of thread. The finished piece is 114 cm high x 48cm wide.  I bought some butterfly fabric from the internet in a sale, and Phil suggested doing the flange (blue border) just to give it a bit more of a border, and it works perfectly. I did a running stitch in between the angels to attach it to the wadding on the inside, and the backing fabric, and added the butterfly fabric, the binding hand stitched, and finally the hanging sleeve on the back to add to the hanger. 

They were designed by Joan Elliot, one of my favourite designers. When DMC had their 100th anniversary, she designed an angel using the entire collection of DMC threads at the time. (366 colours I think). At the time, I had won the complete set of DMC threads in a Family Circle competition (I entered the stitched photo I did of Alexander and Cameron), and couldn't resist the challenge of this project. (This photo is not of my finished Angel, but one I got from the internet) My angel is safely stored with mum in Melbourne. I am stitching some small Lizzie Kate Flip Its in the mean time, until I begin the next big project, St Nick in his study - my first Heaven and Earth Design project...YIKES..it is enormous, but I am sure it will be fun to do....I hope!

No comments: